Wednesday 31 May 2017

May - Quick Reviews

17.5. Point Blank (2010) - 5 / 10

I was renting movies but my friend was impatient and pretty much any time I even touch a movie I had to pick that one. So that's how I ended up watch Point Blank, or originally Á bout portant. I didn't know anything about this movie prior to watching it, and I didn't even know it was French.

Point Blank is a decent action thriller. It's thrilling, action scenes look good and the main character is easy to root for. The cinematography is also very nice. More artistic than in most action movies, and very nice colours. But while it all clicks it doesn't really stand out from the typical action movies. So in short, it's alright. If you like action movies, it's worth seeing, but if you'd like to see something different, then maybe this movie isn't for you.

18.5. Horrible Bosses 2 (2014) - 7 / 10

I liked this movie way more than the first time. I actually enjoyed watching this, while the humour was of course sometimes a bit dumb, but like the first one, Horrible Bosses 2 is a dark comedy. When done well it can me hilarious, when done poorly it can be absolutely horrendous. With Horrible Bosses 2 they did an okay job. Sometimes the dark jokes go too far, but sometimes they are also just right.

Still I got to laugh a lot, which is always a good thing when watching comedies.

One thing that bothers me though is that the name is still Horrible Bosses while there really isn't a horrible boss here, not as clearly a in the first one at least. This is what can happen if you make a sequel when you didn't exactly plan it carefully. It has the title, and while Horrible Bosses 2 had a better plot, better twist, it's still carrying the name which is a bit ehh.

There's also a chance I enjoyed this movie more now that I've learned to like Charlie Day. Like I've always found him adorable but because of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia I'm starting to really, really, like him.

20.5. Hardball (2001) - 6 / 10

Hard Ball is a very typical sports drama. It's whole purpose seems to be to get a huge emotional response from the viewer, but when isn't that a purpose of a movie? And Hard Ball definitely succeeds at this in so many ways. It's an average movie, an alright movie, and the story is hardly anything special. However it's well made.

30.5. What We Do In The Shadows (2014) - 7 / 10

I have seen a lot of footage of this movie, so I finally decided watch it. This movie is an excellent mockumentary, and absolutely hilarious. I love how they used very classic vampires instead of trying to make a modern version where they leave out certain parts of the myth or come up with new features for the vampires.

What We Do In The Shadows is a brilliant fantasy-horror-comedy, and in its way very unique. It's definitely entertaining and well made, even if it's not really my type as a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment